Local services in the village consist of a shop, which includes a Post Office, and two public houses. In addition there is a Communiry Centre - the Woolaston Memorial Hall, next to a substantial playing field and a children's play area. A number of local buses serve Woolaston. Both the railway stations in Lydney and Chepstow are a short distance away.
Woolaston has its own primary school, originally opened in 1862 and located in the main village area. To see the school website click here.For secondary school education, Woolaston is served by school buses for Wyedean School in Sedbury, Whitecross School in Lydney and the Royal Forest of Dean College. There are also Independant Schools in Chepstow, Cinderford and Monmouth.
Ofstead School Inspection Reports
Ofsted Reports for Woolaston School Under 5s can be found here and for Woolaston Primary School here. (Woolaston Parish Coucil is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites.)
Woolaston has two churches, the Parish Church of St Andrews lying centrally in the Parish somewhat over a mile from the centre of the village, and a smaller Methodist Church. The earliest record of St. Andrew's Church at Woolaston is in 1131. However, the old circular churchyard and the nearby Roman Road which ran just to the northwest of the church suggest a much earlier holy site. Items of note in the church include the west window (c1300), the trussed rafter nave roof (possibly c1400) and five bells dated between 1500 and 1775.
Woolaston has a locan Parish Council with seven councillors. It is within the area administered by the Forest of Dean District Council. The Forest of Dean district is one of six districts within the county of Gloucestershire, under Gloucestershire County Council. For information on the role of the Woolaston Parish Council click here. Information on the range of public services provided by all levels of local government within Gloucestershire many be found on the Gloucestershire County Council Web Site here.
Woolaston Charity Lands
There are three areas of land in the village, commonly known as The Charity Lands, that are administered by charitable trusts. Details of the Charity Lands and their associated trusts can be found if you click here.